September is always a new beginning in the life of a student, teacher and a family of students with a Dad who is a Teacher. So begins a new chapter in the Neilson book of life. Alick is in GRADE ONE!!! WHOOOHOOOO! Everyone is on the same schedule for once. Hyrum is in Grade 5, the 2 of us will head off to ‘Camp Homewood’ in May with the Grade 5’s of Port McNeill. It should be a great time! Dexter is in Grade 7, High School next year. Carter is in Grade 10 when all things start to count toward the new graduation portfolio. We are awaiting Math 10 to arrive from a distance education school. We hope to have greater success with the material at home than in the classroom.
I find the daunting task ahead as I prepare to live within our small space with growing boys a bit overwhelming, yet one step at a time, one day at a time, things will fall into place. To begin with I moved the computer desk to a corner that I think will work better. I removed one couch from the house and put a table in the corner of the dining room for a study spot. I am slowly creating a ‘house of learning’ for the boys. There are areas of their learning that need some attention whether it is practicing multiplication tables, creative writing, reading or actual homework, it all needs a place in the house where they can work without distraction from others. In our humble home of 1200 sq.ft. it can be a challenge to find such a space but it is manageable. I love the fact that families adapt to whatever the circumstance. Where there is a will there’s a way. Right?
Our summer time together was a relaxing one.
We spent a week in Washington at the beach. The Pacific Ocean is cold there too but the boys had fun running and playing in the waves. 4 Generations of family together and 2 meals were taken care of by each of us on a rotating basis so I had a great break from the monotony of cooking for a family that rarely agrees on the same meal more than a few times a week. The variety was awesome!! I felt right at home there. The weather was comparable to here.
On our way to Pacific Beach we stayed in Bellvue. Drew, Dexter and Carter attended the temple and did quite a few baptisms. What a wonderful way to start the vacation time for them! (I went also on my own) It was hot in the Seattle area and the boys melted. I loved it! I look forward to soaking in the heat every summer. Our cooler climate here gets to me from time to time.
The rest of the summer was spent hanging out at home. We went swimming, watched movies, played with friends, fished a bit, picked berries, hiked and went on a couple of picnicking trips. I camped once with the boys and Drew, Dexter and Carter went to Young Men’s camp to Sproat Lake, near Port Alberni. It is nice to be getting back to the routine of life after a relaxing summer of lazy days.
Drew spent most of the summer learning and writing papers for University. He completed his 9 course this last weekend! This means a raise from category 4 to category 5, about $500 bucks a month. His grades have been awesome. We are awaiting the results of 4 classes. I think his average is 3.85. :0) I am so proud of him!
No comments:
Post a Comment