Sunday, April 03, 2005

Life is at an interesting stage,

Alick, the youngest at 4, and Carter, the oldest 13. As I look ahead to where life is going with older boys I am happy with the thought of biking and hiking and exploring with them and on my own without the extra appendage. Yet as I look back I see where we have come from I smile at the fun of having small ones underfoot learning and growing. It is a happy/sad feeling. Until now I haven’t really thought about me and the things I can do with others outside the home, for me. Yes life is busy and never dull but as the boys are aging and becoming less “needy” of mom’s constant attention it feels weird yet exciting.


We went away for a few days to meet up with my parents down in Parksville. It was a good time and I didn't miss the computer for we had a lot to do. We missed Drew for our visit carried over 2 school days and he could not join us. We swam everyday and went for a couple of walks on the beach. Alick is turning out to be a little fish and loves swimming. We bought him a new floatie suit that is like a little wet suit with floats on the front and back. We spent one day shopping and generally enjoyed the quiet time with Nana and Grampa.

Easter Sunday turned out good. We had dinner with friends and I worried the turkey was not going to be cooked. In the end it was great and only an hour behind schedule. You see DH usually cooks it and does it in one of those oven bags that cooks the turkey in less time. Well I asked Carter to come home from church and put it in the oven. I said it would be all ready you just have to put it int the oven. Well he saw the bag and thought, plastic bags don't go in the oven. I thought mom said it would be all ready for me to put in the oven. So he spent 5 minutes getting the bird ready to put in the oven, taking it out of the bag. (sigh) I had it timed so it would be ready for 5. I cooked it at a higher heat and like I said it was only and hour late.

Carter competed in a couple of Gymnastics competitions last month and the month before. He did well and found a new love for something new. At the Zone competition he earned 2nd in rings, 3rd in Floor and Vault, and 5th in Pommel Horse and Low bar. At the Provincials he received 5th in rings and floor, and 6th in Pommel Horse. We attended the Provincial competition and Grandpa Wayne joined us for the day! I mixed up the times and so Drew and Wayne were unable to see Carter complete all of his events due to Drews eye appointment but all in all it was a great time together.

The long awaited soccer season has begun and will fill a lot of our Saturday mornings from now until the end of June. All 4 boys are playing and I am happy with the teams they will be playing on. I am often glad to have 2 parents in our family and especially during soccer season for Drew will gladly attend the boys home games leaving me free to travel when necessary to Port Hardy, Alert Bay or Sointula. I will need to make a few adjustments to our after school schedule. Hyrum and Dexter have practices Mondays and Wednesdays. Carter and Alick have practices Tuesdays and Thursdays. It is a good thing that back when we married a wonderful relative gave us a Crock pot because I think I will be using the Crock pot A LOT for our dinner meals! If you have a favourite meal that is cooked using the Crock pot, please share it with me.


No comments: