Friday, August 08, 2008
We are happy we have not only 1 but 2 canoes!
For the last few years, Drew has been taking the boys to YMs Camp here on the island. Often it involves a time in a canoe and Drew is left to the mercy of some kind soul who will loan him one for the camp. One year the canoe was very, very, heavy and made for an unpleasant trip for both paddlers. This year we decided it was time to buy one for our family. On the way to camp Drew went a day early and purchased a red Pelican canoe. It is quite light and easily fits 3 people. They managed well with the canoe on the camp and upon return Hyrum spied a green canoe up the street for sale, $50. They went to check it out the next day, bought it and carried it home. This one is quite a bit heavier than the red one but it has a flat back and happily Drew will one day purchase a small 4 horse kicker for it. We have a utility trailer so we are self-sufficient. We can take both canoes, gear and the family in one trip! We don't have a trip planned yet but we have been to the lake a number of times this past week trying out one canoe or the other. It was such a pleasant way to spend some time! I saw the fog creeping in and we quickly packed up and drove 15 min to the lake and spent a wonderfully hot and sunny time in and out of the lake until the sun set behind the trees. Upon return home sure enough the fog had settled in for the night. Well, I loved the escape so much that when the boys asked to go again the next night I eagerly agreed. Something so easy and close to escape the coolness and forboding feeling of fog in early August is on the top of my list to do! 3 nights in a row we did this. Today is a soggy day so there is no escaping it unless we travel much further. It was a good day to tidy up, do laundry and organize things for another trip to the lake when another sunny day is interrupted by fog. So if you happen to phone and you hear the answering machine beep, you'll know we are out dodging the fog! ;0)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh Cori- How wonderful! Brad & I and the girls just got back (2 days ago) from spending 10 days in the Seattle/Olympic penisula area. I can totally SEE the fog and understand the reason for the get away. It's it great how we can sometimes "escape" nearby? Keep it up and post some pics of your next canoeing trip. We'd love to see them!
I'm so happy for you and your family. You will love your canoeing adventures. We live in a wonderful place, full of neat lakes waiting to be explored. Happy trails. Nicole
I'm so happy for you and your family. You will love your canoeing adventures. We live in a wonderful place, full of neat lakes waiting to be explored. Happy trails. Nicole
Hi Cori. Actually from my perspective the fog sounds wonderful considering that I spent my summer in hot and humid Oklahoma instead of the usual annual trip to BC! My choice to see family I know, but still, we missed you guys!
Post a Comment